Medical Assistant (MA)
The Certified Medical Assistant program is a cluster of planned, sequenced instruction to cross-train students for positions as advanced patient caregivers under the supervision of the physician and advanced practice nurses mainly in outpatient or ambulatory care facilities, such as medical offices and clinics. This program expands the traditional role of the nursing assistant and the patient care technician, providing a broad foundation of knowledge and skills to be applied to the care of the patients in physicians’ offices and urgent care centers.
The person registering for this course must have a High School Diploma/GED and a Georgia State Certification for Certified Nursing Assistant
Medical assistants are cross-trained to perform administrative and clinical duties. Here is a quick overview (duties vary from office to office depending on location, size, specialty, and state law):
Administrative Duties (may include, but not limited to):
- Using computer applications
- Answering telephones
- Greeting patients
- Updating and filing patient medical records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Scheduling appointments
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handling correspondence, billing, and bookkeeping
Clinical Duties (may include, but not limited to):
- Taking medical histories
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examination
- Assisting the physician during exams
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a physician
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Drawing blood
- Taking electrocardiograms
- Removing sutures and changing dressings
Patient Liaison | Medical Assistants are instrumental in helping patients feel at ease in the physician’s office and often explain the physician’s instructions.
Tuition: $5,640* (Tuition includes: Instruction, Drug Screening, Background and TB Screening)
*Does not include registration
*other materials might be needed for this course
Course Length: 9 weeks (plus 3-weeks internship)
Upcoming Classes: Open registration for online class.
Have Questions About Courses?
With so many career paths into the medical industry, where do you start? Premier Medical Careers can help you find the answers you need to make informed decisions about your future in health care. Just ask us!